Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Butternut Squash Bread

I didn't realize I froze so much squash.  I must have found a bargain on kabocha squash last summer.  What to do with it if you are sick of mashed squash.  Make some sweet bread of course.  This would also be great poured into muffin tins.  I was in a hurry though and about to leave for a trip.  It makes two loaves so I took one with me for my cousin who graciously let us stay with her.

Just wanted to share some pics of our weekend at my cousins.




BUTTERNUT SQUASH BREAD

You could definitely sub pumpkin for the butternut squash!

2 3/4 cups sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 1⁄2 cups flour
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2⁄3 cup water (I used 1/3 water and 1/3 buttermilk)
2 cups butternut squash, cooked and mashed

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine all the wet ingredients and stir in the sugar.  Combine remaining dry ingredients and mix into the wet ingredients.

Pour batter into two 9 x 5 loaf pans. Bake for about an hour or until a tester comes out clean.

1 comment:

Colette (Coco) said...

Butternut squash is my fav! I forgot I have pumpkin in the freezer, too.
This looks so yummy. I'll make it tonight. Thanks, hon.