Sunday, September 13, 2015

Rhubarb Lentils



I encouraged my daughter, being the Vegetarian she is, to try the lentils on a chip with sour cream and cheese.  Like, how can you go wrong?  But alas, she tried one and was not having any more of it.

I personally loved it but I like vegetables.  Let me rephrase that, I love vegetables.  But I didn't always, so, I will be patient as her taste buds grow up.
 


Rhubarb Lentils
I got the idea from a cookbook I have been looking at.  Its called Locavore. Though I seen a very similar recipe here on My Recipes. I didn't want a soup but rather a thick stew kind of thing.  

2 cups water for boiling
1 cup dried petite green lentils
1 tablespoon oil
2 cups finely chopped celery
1 1/2 cups finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 cups chopped rhubarb (about 12 ounces)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

sour cream


In a saucepan sauté onions and celery in oil.  Once the onions are translucent, add in the water and lentils.  Add the remainder of the ingredients except for the tomato paste and cook until lentils are tender.  Add in past and bring to a boil again.  Remove from heat and serve with a dollop of sour cream.



 Anyela's Vineyards in Skaneateles NY- Finger Lakes Region.



No comments: