Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Tea Time Tuesday: Lemon Loaf Cake

Have you ever wondered what the difference is between a sweet bread and a tea loaf?  I have.  But then I wonder about all kinds of things that most people could give a darn about.  I'm weird like that. Deal.

A tea bread by Oxford Dictionary is. "A type of cake, baked in the shape of a loaf, containing dried fruit that has been soaked in tea before baking. ... 'Another bread, bara brith, is at least as good as any other fruit loaf or tea bread.  

Then I looked up sweet bread and it was nowhere near what I thought the definition of sweet bread was.  According to Wikipedia it is, "Sweetbread is a culinary name for the thymus or the pancreas, especially of calf and lamb, and, less commonly, of beef and pork."  What???? Seriously.

Then what the heck is a cake type loaf called?  Cake? Yes, loaf cake, now don't I feel foolish.  So if you are anything like me in my naivete, then dont write a post about tea bread and what not.  Its a loaf cake, fool!  Its just that simple.

Anyway, this lovely loaf is awesome with a cup of tea.  Head on over to my friend, Sandy's blog, Quilting For The Rest Of Us and see what she has in store for you for tea.
Lemon Loaf Cake

Makes 1 large loaf and one small loaf

3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
zest of one lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup oil
3 eggs
3 cups zucchini
1 teaspoon oil

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Stir together all the dry ingredients except for the sugar. In another bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar, then oil, lemon juice, zest and vanilla. Pour the wet into the dry and beat just until combined.  Stir in the grated zucchini.  Pour into greased loaf pans and bake for 45 to 55 minutes.

1 comment:

Jack said...

I love loaf cakes. They are one of my favorite snacks to have at breakfast or with my evening tea. Thanks for posting the recipe. The lemon loaf cake looks yum!