Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cut Out Cookie Bars

I use to love making cookies. Now- not so much. A lot of times I want a finished product fast because I am going somewhere and need to take it along. Most of the time, I am just doing too many other things to fiddle around with a dessert that requires tons of waiting time. Long waiting periods are okay because you can fit a load of laundry or something else in there. But ten minutes is not enough time to do something else.

Well, this "cookie" is one of my favorites of the season but it has been magically transformed into a bar. Way easier. Way rapid. Way yummy. How can you go wrong. Decorate anyway you like and voila, instant hit with the kids... and grownups.

Cut Out Cookie Bars
adapted from this recipe at Anissa's Kitchen

1 cup butter; room temp.
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla & mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt & soda & stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet (use a 13 x 18 pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost.

Frosting
1/2 cup butter; room temp
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
food coloring (if desired)

For frosting combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk & mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Spread over cooled cookie

20 comments:

kat said...

I'm with you, fancy cut out cookie always seem like a good idea to me & then I get tired of making them after the first trayful

ann low said...

WOW!! These cookie bars are so pretty :D

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I'm not too keen on food coloring but I could color my frosting with green tea powder. Love this recipe because it's so easy and uncomplicated. Thanks for posting, Lori! :)

P.S. They look cute nonetheless dressed in pink.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These are pretty treats, Lori.

grace said...

cookie bars trump cookies any hour of any day for me. they're just as good and so much simpler. lovely creation!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Lori, I'm with ya sister! I like eating cookies but not so much making them. They've always seemed like a lot of work for not much pay back. I definitely think bars are the way to go!

I've made these before and they're a winner for sure!
~ingrid

mely said...

Hello Lori,

I want to make this recipe but I got a question. Does the cookies texture is more like the one for a cake? They look so yummy in the picture.

Lori said...

Mely- I think the texture is more like a cookie and not a cake. It is very tender though.

anissa ferguson said...

Your Cookie Bars look great!!! I am glad you enjoyed them. I am going to try your gingerbread bars next.

Katy ~ said...

Cookies are among my favorite sweet to eat. I'm not so big on cut out cookies because I don't have the skill or time to make them beautiful. A drop cookie is more my style. But I think you're right about bar cookies.

These do look very good. I was wondering, same as Lori, if these were a cakey type cookie.

Lucy..♥ said...

Simplicity at it's best! I go through phases w/my cookies, especially at holidays. Cut outs, or no cut outs, that's always the ???

Lori said...

Katy- it is more cookie than cake.

hungryandfrozen said...

This looks awesome! Cookies but with less stress. Will have to try next time I'm in the mood for cookies but don't want to deal with rolling out and so on.

le ricette del glutine scomparso said...

ciao Lori, ti scrivo dall'italia, sono passata di qui e voglio farti i miei complimenti sia per il tuo blog che per le tue deliziose ricette...

le ricette del glutine scomparso said...

ciao Lori, ti scrivo dall'italia, sono passata di qui e voglio farti i miei complimenti sia per il tuo blog che per le tue deliziose ricette...

ellie said...

Very pretty indeed.

I've never heard of anything similar, they sort of look like shortbread, in that it holds together like a cookie but melts like a cake?

Donna-FFW said...

I so enjoy making cookies, but I also enjoy the time saver bars. these sound wonderful and they present so lovely.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Lori! We did it! For a moment the haters we silent...
~ingrid

The Blonde Duck said...

That's such a cute idea. It's like a cake and cookie in one!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Well, I'm going to make this today...as soon as I get my lazy a** over to Carrefour and buy more eggs. I just realized I only have 3!