Saturday, October 23, 2010

Empanada Bites and Hand Pies


I use to buy Goya empanada dough disks and admittedly sometimes I still do in a pinch but really making your own dough is totally worth it.  Empanadas are more about the filling of course but this dough is one of the best I have made.  It turns out quite flaky despite the absence of lard in the ingredients. I know I know itr has butter but really lard makes a more flaky dough.  I always bake my empanadas simply to reduce the fat of deep frying.

Okay back to my quilt.  I have been working pretty hard at getting this quilt done.  You can see some of the pieces if you are interested at my craft blog, Craftication.  My goal is to get it on my bed- as soon as possible. My bedroom awaits for its makeover.

Chorizo Shrimp Filling

6 ounces chorizo
1 pound shrimp
1 (about 3/4 cup) red bell pepper, chopped
1 (about 3/4 cup) green bell pepper, chopped
1 (about 3/4 cup) onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon oil
4 ounce sharp cheddar, shredded

Saute onion and peppers in oil. Add chorizo and saute until browned.  Right before it is done add the garlic and cook one minute more.  Place in bowl when done.  Add cumin and uncooked chopped shrimp to mixture.  Mix in shredded cheese.



Empanada Dough

3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
9 tablespoons (4.5 ounces) unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
4 to 6 tablespoons ice water

In a food processor or with a pastry blender, combine flour salt and baking powder.  Mix in butter in small pieces, then yolk and finally add the ice water- tablespoon by tablespoon.  As soon as the dough becomes cohesive enough it is ready.  In a food processor you can easily see this process take place.  Stop mixing and gather up the dough into a ball.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least for 30 minutes.  You can do this the day before if you want that part of the process out of the way.

Break off two inch hunks and form into balls.  Roll out the dough to an 1/8 of an inch.  Form ovals.  Spoon 1/4 cup of filling or more if you can fit it in.  Fold the dough over and carefully pinch the dough together all around.  If any of the filling oozes out it will prevent the dough from sealing and you will have leakage when you bake it.  Brush with an egg wash for a nice color.  I did not use the egg wash but wish I had. Bake the empanadas at 375.

If you want little open empanada bites below, press some dough into tart forms or mini cupcake molds.  Place some filling in them and bake at 375 until you can see the dough pull away from the sides a little.  These are great little appetizers.

4 comments:

Murasaki Shikibu said...

It just tastes so much more wholesome when it's made from scratch and you know exactly what's in it, i.e. is it butter, lard or transfatty acids?

vanillasugarblog said...

oh i know i should make my own dough and i never do. it really does taste better doesn't it? i mean it's like making your own pasta dough--all about the taste & texture.

The Blonde Duck said...

I need to make meat pies again! This reminded me!

grace said...

i love hand pies! a savory version is perfect since you don't have to worry about how to eat it a la mode. :)