Thursday, February 3, 2011

Curried Kabocha

This is one of those quick whip ups that was a most delicious lunch.  I just want you to know that when I say curry I mean that, not in the curry powder you find in the stores (which frankly I do not dig at all) but rather a mix of ingredients that is Indian in nature. A curry is more a kin to a sauce than an actual specific mixture.  But anyway, since I am not Indian I am not even sure I am correct here.in my name of my dish.  I do know that kabocha is right.  I love kabocha squash.  It's nutty, rather like a chestnut than a squash in flavor but it also has that squash flavor as well.

Curried Kabocha

1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 inch nub ginger, grated
1 garlic clove grated
10 curry leaves
4 cups kabocha chopped
1/4 cup cilantro
s and p to taste


In a frying pan heat the ghee.  Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.  Saute until they begin to pop.  Add turmeric, curry leaves, ginger and garlic.  Cook one minute.  Add in the squash and saute until a bit brownish.  Add about a cup of water, cover and simmer until squash is tender.  Remove from heat and sprinkle with cilantro.

6 comments:

Carrots and cherries said...

a simple yet nicely flavoured dish to go with rotis (Indian bread).....yum !
very Interesting blog with lots of Indian recipes :)

Keep up the good job !

cheers :)

kat said...

I really like kabocha too, bet its perfect with those spices

Lyndas recipe box said...

I have never tried kabocha, but your dish looks delicious. I'm sure I'd love it like I do any other squash I've eaten. Thanks for a new idea!

Joanne said...

Kabocha is my absolute favorite winter squash! What a great dish.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Sounds yummy! I love kabocha anyway and those are the same spices I use when I make Toor Daal. :)

grace said...

kabocha is a delicious squash, and you've done a very nice thing with it!