Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Zucchini Tart with Dill and Garlic

Had my fabulous four monthly dinner get together.  It was my turn.  I always fret about what to make.  A few things I knew I wanted in my dinner.  Light and lots of fresh vegetables.  When I saw this tart from Fine Cooking I knew it would make an appearance. 

I made the tart with dill and garlic instead of thyme.  I really liked it although I would like the dough to be a bit more tender.  I will make it with a different dough next time- one that is not so crumbly.  I also will overlap the zucchini a lot more so that you get more zucchini in every bite.

I served the tart with a chop chop type of salad- I will have to post that one because I dont want to forget about it.  I also served cucumber soup. I will post about that too.

Zucchini Tart with Garlic and Dill
Recipe adapted from this recipe from Fine Cooking 117 , pp. 63
May 3, 2012

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
5 oz. cold unsalted butter
Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. white vinegar
1-1/2 lb. zucchini, trimmed and sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
Freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
4 oz. plain goat cheese, softened
3 tsps. chopped fresh dill
1 clove garlic minced 


In a food processor, pulse the flour, butter, and 3/4 tsp. salt until the butter is the size of small peas. Add the vinegar and 3 to 4 Tbs. cold water, pulsing until the dough just comes together. Shape the dough into a 1-inch-thick disk; wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough on a well-floured surface into an 11-inch round that’s 1/4-inch thick. Put the dough on a baking sheet, cover with plastic, and chill until ready to use, at least 30 minutes.

In a colander, combine the zucchini with 2 tsp. salt and drain for 30 minutes. Place between paper towels and press.

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F. Toss the zucchini with 1 Tbs. of the olive oil, garlic and pepper to taste. In a small bowl, mix the goat cheese with the dill and pepper to taste. Spread the cheese over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Arrange the squash rounds in tightly overlapping concentric circles all the way to the edge of the dough.  Bake until the zucchini is golden, 40 to 50 minutes.
 

No comments: