Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sushi with Lox, Arugula and Avocado

 
My on again off again diet is on again at present.  I have had this diet THANG going on for way too long in my life.  I lay in bed some nights and think, man I really need to get this weight off of me because I need to live to be with my kids.  I do well for a while.  Then BAM off again.  Eating like there is no tomorrow.  Making lots of bad food choices.  But you know I feel so good when I am doing good.  Clothes start to fit better, I feel good about my progress, and then I dont know what happens.  I fall off the wagon.  Hopefully, this time I can stay on the wagon.

I love lox.  Such a treat.  I know this is not a usual filling for sushi but I just wanted to give it a try.  It was delicious.  Would like to try it again with some dill. 

I know, mine are not perfect.  I need more practice.

Salmon Sushi


Ingredients

8 oz salmon, give or take depending on how much you want to put into the roll

1 Haas avocado
a couple handfulls of arugula
1 carrot cut into strips with a vegetable peeler
2 1/2 cups sushi rice
2 1/2 cups water
2 tabelspoons seasoned rice vinegar
4-6 nori sheets

If you want to be technical about how you make your sushi, go to this post for a more complete list of instructions.  The day I made these I did it in kind of a relaxed way because I didn't want to be bothered with so many steps. Read on for the sloppy way.

Make sushi rice.  Rinse rice.  Bring rice to a boil, simmer for about ten or fifteen minutes.  Remove from heat without taking lid off and let sit for fifteen minutes.

After that time, pour seasoned rice vinegar over the rice and stir.  Let cool to room temp.

Toast nori sheets for a few moments.  Lay nori sheet textured side up on a bamboo rolling sheet.  Parchment paper will work in a pinch. Wet your hands.  Lay the rice about a 1/2 inch on nori sheet, leaving a one inch space at the bottom and top of the roll.  Place whatever you are putting in the roll at the center.  Bring bottom part of the sheet up and over the center, tucking them and holding them in place.  Begin to roll as tightly as possible.  When you get to the end of the rice, smooth a little water on the last part of the sheet at the top. Place seam side down on cutting board and cut.  I use the side of the knife to make uniform thickness on my sushi.

Chill.



No comments: