Sunday, November 3, 2013

Spaghetti Squash Alfredo

Whenever I see Alfredo sauce in a recipe I tend to shy away because it has lots of calories and is difficult to figure on portion calories. 
So easy to make, especially if you buy the Alfredo.  I did buy some not too long ago as one of those, quick meal things that I keep in my back pocket.  Yes, I know, its not home made per my usual.  But that is just it,  I do make home made, from scratch most of the time but sometimes, I want a quick meal.
So delicious.  So creamy.  So easy.  So full of fiber.  So, only 150 calories.  Wow!

Spaghetti Squash Alfredo

parmesan cheese
spaghetti squash
Alfredo sauce


Turn oven on to 350F.

First, cut squashes in half lengthwise. Remove seed from center cavity , scraping on the sides of little to work it off.  This is going to be the hardest part of the recipe.  Place on baking sheet open side down. Bake until they are soft.  Take a pot holder and push on the top of the skin.  If it depresses easily then it is ready.

Remove from oven (leave oven on because you are going to be putting stuff back into the oven) and once it cools a little to handle, take a fork and scrape the fleshy insides in a motion from the skin to the center cavity.  You will notice it breaks off in strings.  Place the stringy squash into greased ramekins.  Pint sized.  Or you can do one large ones.  I liked the little protions because then I could figure my calorie consumption more easily.

Once in the ramekin, spoon Alfredo sauce in measured portions.  Mix into the squash.  Sprinkle Parmesan over top. Place back in 350F oven, uncovered for about 20 minutes.
I had a few bad spots on this one so that is why this is a smaller chunk of squash.

No comments: