Sunday, March 2, 2014

Graham Crackers



 
I admit it, I am a bit of a flour hoarder.  I was on this kick last year of making bread and I bought all kinds of flours- spelt, semolina, durum, you name it.  I cant stand the clutter and I am not using this stuff.  So, now, I am making bread and crackers or whatever to use this stuff up before it gets yucky.  I have a bottle of oat bran that I do use occasionally for granola bars- I just throw it in the mix instead of wheat germ, but I don't always use it and there was just this little bit left, so, I threw it into the graham crackers.  Worked perfectly. If you dont have any- no worries- you can replace it with regular flour or whatever you like. 
 
Graham Crackers
Printable here.

1 cup whole wheat flour (I added a bit more because my dough was a wee bit wet)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup oat bran
1 cup (176 grams) dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1 teaspoon  baking soda
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
7 tablespoons (3 1/2 ounces or 100 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pats
1/3 cup mild-flavored honey
5 tablespoons (77 grams) milk
2 tablespoons (27 grams) pure vanilla extract


Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade or in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Pulse or mix on low to incorporate. Add the butter and pulse on and off on and off, or mix on low, until the mixture is the consistency of a coarse meal.

In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, milk, and vanilla extract. Add to the flour mixture and pulse on and off a few times or mix on low until the dough barely comes together. It will be very soft and sticky. Lay out a large piece of plastic wrap and dust it lightly with flour, then turn the dough out onto it and pat it into a rectangle about 1-inch thick. Wrap it, then chill it until firm, about 2 hours or overnight. (honestly, this time I did not refrigerate the dough at all).

On a parchment sheet, roll the dough as thins as possible. You can lay plastic wrap over top to help you roll it out as it tends to be sticky.  The thinner, the better. I have a really large pan so this works for me.  You can use two cookie sheets instead. Score the rolled dough.  This will help you break it apart when you pull it out of the oven and the holes will help the dough stay flat rather than doing a puff thing.


Adjust the oven rack to the upper and lower positions and preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake until golden- about 15 minutes.  They will continue to harden as they cool as well.  Run the blade over the lines you previously cut as soon as you take them out of the oven.

Alternately, you can cut and separate before baking but I just wanted them faster. 

 

No comments: