Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Irish Soda Bread

Today, I decided we needed some Irish Soda bread to go with the corned beef I plan on making.  Not that corned beef has anything to do with being Irish.  But then I have nothing to do with being Irish.  I am an American of Polish and Italian decent.  Here in America, on St. Patrick's Day, everyone is Irish.  What the heck?  Why not?  I have a lot of Irish friends.  So here is to them!  Cheers!


Irish Soda Bread
Adapted from this recipe at the NY Times.

1 ¾ cups/288 grams whole wheat flour
1 ¾ cups/224 grams all-purpose flour, more as needed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons/28 grams unsalted butter, softened
1 egg
1 tablespoon sugar
1 ⅔ cups/500 milliliters buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450F.

Mix flours with salt and sugar.  In a large measuring cup combine buttermilk and egg.  Stir to combine, breaking up the egg.  Mix the wet ingredients into the dry.  Working it only enough to mix it completely.  Spoon onto parchment paper lined baking sheet.

Place in the oven for about 15 minutes.  Reduce the temperature to 400F and bake for 30 more minutes.


I didnt want to work it too much.  Adding more flour meant it might have been dry.  I wet my hands and smoothed it out a bit and stuck it in the oven.



No comments: