Friday, September 23, 2016

Eggplant Meatless Balls


I saw this recipe for eggplant meatballs. I had to try it.  Of course I changed a little, well, a lot.  I like them okay.  If I was a  vegetarian I would definitely put it on my rotation.   But honestly, its not meatballs and alas, that is what I prefer.  I don't really make meatballs all that much but when I do, I want the real thing.

Having said that, I might make them again because they are pretty healthy but I would change a few things. I probably would have added some more pecorino romano and some finely chopped walnuts or even finely chopped mushrooms.




Eggplant Meatless Balls

3 cups eggplant, roasted and pulsed in the food processor
2 eggs
1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)(You can definitely replace this with bread crumbs if you like)
1/4 cup bread crumbs or panko, give or take
1/4 cup of basil chopped finely
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
2 garlic cloves minced finely
1/4 cup heaping, parsley, chopped finely
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated

Mix everything together except the bread crumbs.  Let eh mixture sit for 30 minutes at least.  This will give the TVP time to absorb the liquids from the eggplant. After you let it sit, if the mixture is still very liquid like and you are unable to roll it in balls, then add some bread crumbs.  A little at a time.  Once you are able to form balls, roll them all up into balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake at 350F until they turn golden.  After that they are ready to take a bath in the sauce. Yeah!


No comments: