Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Piri Piri Chicken


I researched this sauce and adapted flavors to meet my own taste and the kind of peppers I had available to me.  I really like what I came up with.  I will eventually try it with Thai peppers but for now, I am totally loving this creation.  Piri piri sauce is my new go to hot sauce.  LOVE it!


The one thing that really makes piri piri stand out is the smoked paprika.  You definitely should buy a real good brand.  I am going to be honest here I have used it before and I wasn't all that jazzed about smoked paprika.  I thought it added bitterness and I wasn't exactly sold on its qualities.  But here, in this sauce, it is TOTALLY what makes it.  It is so awesome! I slather it on everything.  

I made some piri piri chicken, which from what I read, is wildly popular all over Mozambique. THe sauce hails from Spain originally.  I honestly think that this sauce will really catch on here and be all over soon enough.  You will hear it everywhere.  

Piri Piri Sauce

12 cherry peppers (any variety will work but the heat will be changed up)
6 cloves of garlic
1 onion
juice of one lemon
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 teaspoons of Kosher or non-iodine salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 cup of white vinegar

Blend everything together.
Cook one hour with lid on.
Store in glass jars in refrigerator.

No comments: