Friday, March 28, 2008

CHAYOTE

Chayote Salad



Looks like someone is missing their dentures.


I heard about chayote quite a while ago. I think Tyler Florence was making a chayote and pear salad. I tried to grow them in my garden about two years ago to no avail. I tried finding them in stores with no luck either. Recently I discovered they have been under my nose the whole time without me even knowing it. I found them at the Asian store in Rochester, once I recognized them. I also found them at the Indian store. I AM SO EXCITED to finally try them. The taste is kind of like a suash but definitely has more firmness than squash.

Chayote Salad

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 small red onion, sliced thinly
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 chayotes
1 tablespoon olive oil
handful of grape tomatoes

Boil chayote for about twenty minutes until tender. Let cool enough so that you can handle them. Cut in half and remove pit. Slice thinly or in matchsticks and combine all ingredients. Serve warm or at room temperature.

1 comment:

Lore said...

Love the looks of your salad (so fresh and juicy) but chayote is new to me.