Sunday, March 30, 2008

Dinner for the King




First I 'd like to say that my husband takes this all in stride (Thank God) but he is Italian. Some of you may already know the Kingliness of the Italian male. My husband was doted on by his Mom like the majority of Italian males out there. He expects the tradition to be continued in our house. I am good to him because he is a good man. But as far as servitude goes, well...
I made this lovely meal for him because I love him.

This morning I was a little daring and decided to make my own lasagna noodles. I have made pasta once before from a recipe. It did not turn out so good. I have read a lot of recipes so I know basically what goes in one. I have some semolina flour here so here is my creation. I have to say it was dry enough that it did not stick to the roller but soft enough to be pliable. How it would fare in a pot of boiling water I have no idea but in the lasagna it came out great.


Pasta dough

3 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup semolina
1/4 cup of water
1 tablespoon olive oil

Make a mound of dry ingredients. Make a well in the center add egg and olive oil. Incorporate the flour slowly into the egg mixture with a fork. Work with hand into a ball. Use as much water as you need to make a pliable dough. Not too wet though. If it feels sticky it too wet. Knead for about ten minutes. Let rest 20 to 30 minutes. Roll out into lasagna noodles and lightly flour. Lay them flat and let them dry.

In my lasagna I have a layer of ricotta mixed with roasted garlic, eggs, romano, spinach, nutmeg and s/p. The next layer is ground beef with mozarella. The top has a light sprinkling of cheese.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed...lasagna noodles!

Jennifer said...

Yummy dinner! I totally understand what you mean about the Italian male... trying being the only girl in the family!!! haha :) Great post!

test it comm said...

That looks good. Great job making your own pasta!

Shelly said...

Lawsy! You made your own noodles? You go girl.

creampuff said...

Nothing beats homemade pasta! And yes ... I am familiar with the species known as "Italian Man-derthalensis". Quite an interesting creature indeed!

Helene said...

The French are similar to the Italians in that regard and my husband knew after meeting my mom and grandma that he would be well taken care of by me. I do it because I like taking care of him and he does so many things for us :) Maybe if I show him this post he'll agree to let me buy a pasta machine!! The lasagnas are wonderful!