Monday, September 8, 2008

GREEN TOMATO JAM with vanilla and ginger

This stuff is so good. This has been the year for canning jams and such. I don't usually can so much jam but I am thinking with all the DB challenges and cool stuff out in the blogger world I will have a need for it.
This is not a recipe that I would normally do as the combination of flavors is not something I would pick. However I am so glad that I ventured out of my comfort zone and tried this awesome recipe. I found it at Rosa Jacksons blog, Edible Adventures Paris.Nice and Beyond.

I will love this during the Holidays with mascarpone on a cracker. I could also see it as a glaze for a roast. Tomorrow I am making another green tomato jam. Tune in to see this yummy flavor combination.

Green tomato jam with ginger and vanilla
original found here Edible Adventures
Makes about 4 11-oz (300 g) jars

4 1/2 lbs green tomatoes (2 kg)
1/2 the weight in sugar of the tomatoes, once the tomatoes have been deseeded and diced
2-inch chunk ginger, peeled (5 cm)
1 vanilla bean
Juice of 1 lemon

Chop the tomatoes and squeeze out as much of the seeds as you can. After chopping weith the tomatoes. Half the weight of the tomatoes should be the weight of your sugar. Slice the ginger against the grain and then chop it finely. Slit the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the seeds with a knife, holding each half flat against the board as you scrape.

Place the tomatoes, sugar, ginger, vanilla bean with its seeds and lemon juice in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring, then reduce the heat and let the jam simmer and reduce until thickened. It should look like a thick, syrupy green tomato sauce, which can take up to 2 hours. To test for doneness, drip some of the liquid onto a cold plate. If it sets, the jam is done.

Meanwhile sterilize the jars, either by boiling them in a large pot of water for 10 minutes or washing them well and placing them in the oven at 375 F (180 C) to dry for 20 mins. Fill the pots with the jam while both are still very hot. Seal with very clean lids. Turn jars upside down for fifteen minutes. Then turn upright. When jars have "pinged" they are done. If a jar lid does not sink down wait 24 hours to see if it goes down. If not place in the refrigerator.

6 comments:

maybelles mom said...

intersting. I have a green tomato and just thinking about what to do with it.

kat said...

Yum I love green tomatoes but have never had them made into jam.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is unique! Thanks for the post!

grace said...

this is quite possibly the most unique jam i've ever encountered! so it's tasty, eh? i can definitely imagine it as a stellar glaze. :)

Lynn said...

This sounds really interesting. I'll bet it's good. We have lots of tomatoes coming in our garden, all still green . . . hmm, you've definitely got me intrigued!

Lynn said...

Well Lori, I haven't made your jam yet. But the other night I did make a batch of stuffed green tomatoes for dinner. And they were good :)