Sunday, September 7, 2008

A SUMMERTIME CLASSIC: PEACH ICE CREAM

When I was getting my MSW (masters in Social Work) a professor had our class over for some homemade peach ice cream. It was so delicious! Prior to that I was never a "fruit-in-my-ice-cream" kind of person. That all changed that day. I had never had homemade ice cream either. I was hooked.

When my DH and I got married about five years ago I asked for an ice cream maker in my registry. And we received this lovely gift. So funny I forgot most of the gifts but I remember that and who gave it to me. Such a foodie I am. Anyway ever since then peach ice cream is made every summer.

This year I did a little experimentation and came up with something I really like! I found the original recipe in Bon Appetit! I made some changes and am happy with what came out of the machine!

PEACH CUSTARD ICE CREAM

2 cups whipping cream
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
5 large egg yolks
1 pound peaches, peeled and diced
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon almond extract

In a heavy saucepan combine whipping cream, milk sugar and yolks. Whisk initially to combine and then switch to a wooden spoon. Do not let it come to a boil. Heat until a little thickened. Lift up the wooden spoon and turn it over to its backside. Run your finger down the spoon. If your finger leaves a trail on the spoon then it is ready. Pour into a glass bowl. Set aside. Wash out the saucepan. Place peaches, sugar and corn syrup in sauce pan and heat through until peaches become tender. Cool a little and then pour into milk mixture. Add almond extract and stir. Refrigerate until cool.

Use ice cream machine according to your manufacturers instructions.

2 comments:

kat said...

Another reason I need an ice cream maker

grace said...

millions of peaches, peaches for me.
great ice cream to round out the summer, lori! oh, how my mouth waters. :)