Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Appetizers: Edamame Dip

It's been a crazy time for blogging. If I am not baking, I'm making something so it has been difficult to get blog time in. When I am sewing things etc we have a very simple meal, generally not very photogenic.

It's funny how I relate cookies to Christmas and appetizers to New Year's. On New Years Eve we generally have appetizers for dinner. It's fun, how often do you get to do something like that? Well, I guess you can if you go out to bars and such.

This is one of my favorite dips! I have made it a couple different ways. This is the one I like best. It's a recipe from Alton Brown. Below is a pic of the edamame after I cooked it in water.


Edamame Dip
based on this recipe from Alton Brown

16 ounces shelled, cooked, and cooled edamame, about 3 cups
1/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup tightly packed parsley leaves
3 large garlic clove, sliced
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon brown miso
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon red chili paste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil

Place the garlic in the processor. I find that it gets to be a finer mince if it is alone. Add the edamame, onion, parsley, garlic, lime juice, miso, salt, chili paste and pepper into the bowl of a food processor and process for for about a minute. Scrape side of bowl. With the processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Once all of the oil has been added, stop, scrape down the bowl and then process another 5 to 10 seconds. Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired. Serve with chips or crackers. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

9 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Appetizers for dinner? Brilliant!

Debbie said...

I agree....brilliant!!

Christine said...

Awesome idea!

test it comm said...

That edamame dip sounds good! I like the use of miso in it.

Have a great new year!

Bunny said...

Yes Lori it's been a rough month! I think the same way you do , cookies for Christmas and appetizers for New Years!! LOL!! This looks very good!

gaga said...

I love edamame but never thought of turning it into a dip. It looks tasty!

grace said...

that's a great dip, lori! edamame is just so darn good for you, and pretty to boot. :)

Maria said...

I have made a similar recipe. I love edamame! I like the green color too! Happy New Year!

The Food Librarian said...

What a great recipe! And so pretty too. Thanks for sharing. Happy New year!