Saturday, December 20, 2008

Maine Potato Candy

I saw this recipe in Taste of Home years ago. I have been wanting to make it for a while. I like Mounds and thought this would be similar. It is similar, but the chocolate coating has to be perfected. I wasn't totally jazzed about it. It's good but it is very sweet and very rich. I think I would rather have a piece of that fudge!

If this sounds like it might tickle your Christmas fancy or you know of a great way to bathe it in chocolate, give it a try and let me know. I think the title should be changed to Coconut candy though, since coconut plays a staring role in it. The potato has a very small part in this.

MAINE POTATO CANDY
from Taste of Home

4 cups confectioners sugar
4 cups shredded coconut
3/4 cup cold, plain, mashed potatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
chocolate for coating the candy

In a bowl mix together all ingredients; coconut, confectioers sugar, mashed potatoes, vanilla and salt. Thoroughly combine. Press into 9 inch square pan that ahs been lined with foil. Chill overnight. Cut into small pieces, about the size of a mini chocolate bar and place on a cookie sheet to freeze.

Prepare chocolate and remove the little bars from the freezer. Dip in chocolate to cover, place on sheets of waxed papers to set. Chill again.

6 comments:

Cristine said...

Interesting! I've never heard of potato in candy before! :)

Christine said...

Such a pretty picture, the red berries really make the chocolate stand out! It does look like a mounds bar, but I would rather have the fudge from the other recipe!

kat said...

Potato candy?! Sounds like something a Scandinavian would come up with...

Anonymous said...

I love these! I make a potato/peanut butter fudge :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Yum! We made potato candy growing up, but it looks nothing like this!

grace said...

isn't there a candy bar like this made in idaho? i feel like i saw something like it at some point. actually, now that i think about it, i don't think there was any potato in it at all, but it was shaped like a potato. hmm. enough babbling--i love coconut, so methinks i'd love this too, even if it is rich!