Monday, December 8, 2008

A CRAFT and A COOKIE #4


You know those peanut butter blossom cookies? The ones with a kiss in the middle. Well, I plan to make them as my brother will be here for Christmas (HOORAY). They are one of his favorites. But I wanted to make chocolate ones as well, with mint kisses in the middle. It was a good idea because they came out REALLY good. It was a bad idea because they have little mouths that keep calling me to come on over and eat them. Did you know cookies can be really loud? Dang. That chocolate dough will stay right in the freezer until the very last minute. Thank goodness I only made twelve.

MINT KISS COOKIES

16 ounces/ 1 pound bittersweet morsels
1 cup/ 2 stickes unsalted butter
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
12 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
mint kisses, unwrapped

Melt bittersweet morsels, unsweetened chocolate and butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Stir often and heat just until it is melted. Remove from heat. Pour into a large bowl. Stir in sugar. Let stand for about 30 minutes.

Add eggs one at a time to chocolate mixture. Stirring until fully incorporated before adding the next egg. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Pour that into the chocolate mixture. Finally, add the chocolate semisweet morsels.

Refrigerate for at least an hour. Scoop out with a cookie scoop. Drop ball onto greased cookie sheet. Bake in a 325 F oven for about ten minutes. Remove from heat, immediately press kiss into cookie. If you dont mind them melted, you can return to the oven for one minute more. Otherwise leave them in the cookie and let it rest on cookie sheet for one minute and then transfer to a wire rack. You can also put te kisses in the freezer so they will not melt as fast.

I used 14 gauge wire and wound it around a handle to one of my kitchen tools. I then pulled it so that the spiral stretched out a little. My kids strung beads on them and then we decorated with ribbon. A cute craft for kids.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome cookies, Lori!

Bunny said...

I think I like these better than the pb blossoms,I make. And the craft is so cute and easy!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love this idea! So cute!

kat said...

I think the mint makes these seems so holidayish

Maria said...

Oh yum!! The cookies look heavenly!

Tracy said...

Oh yes, I do know the voice of cookies calling me! I love those mint kisses -- your recipe sounds great.

grace said...

i love how the kisses have melted into a pool of mint-chocolatey-ness. fabulous. :)

Jen said...

When do you add the sugar? Before the eggs? I was planning on making these today...

Lori said...

Jen- You add the sugar into the melted chocolate. I am so sorry about that.