Monday, April 13, 2009

Chicken and Bean Chili


Well, I am back from my glutton filled weekend away. We went to see my relatives in PA. Way too much eating. Oh I embarassed to tell you that I ate way (weigh) too much but a good thing came out of it- I am remotivated. My cousin just started WW and she was so good, watching everything she ate. While I felt sick because I ate too much. Such a stark contrast. Oh the guilt. But, I hereby let the guilt go and I will pick up my calorie notebook and have at it again. Hello Sparkpeople. Goodbye gluttony. I am joining the ranks of the goodeaters in our battle of the bulge!

I am all for fully loaded posole, as you can see in that link. So I transferred the concept to my chicken and bean chili. Iwished I had some avocadoes to add to it.

Chicken and Bean Chili

1 can white beans, half of them mashed
2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
8 oz cooked chicken diced
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 cup onions, chopped
2 cups chicken broth or veggie broth
1/4 cup chopped cherry pepper chilies (you could use regular chiles- I just have a ton of them frozen)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 oz Empire cheese shredded
s and p to taste
Garnish with: radishes, cilantro, avocado, green onions

Saute onions until golden, add garlic cook one minute more. Add broth, spices, chilies and beans. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add cooked chicken, cook five minutes more, just until the chicken is heated through. Garnish with some shredded cheese and any veggies you would like.

7 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lorie, this actually sounds pretty good. The photo is lovely. Pretty + good is OK. No?

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Sometimes it's good to take little breaks so that you can keep going for a long time without feeling too deprived. We make our own popsicles from fruit juice and allow ourselves to have 1 per day and that kind of satisfies our cravings for sweetness and makes us feel guilty enough to eat lean.

Selba said...

The colors look so beautiful.

kat said...

Love a good chicken chili

grace said...

some avocado on top would've been great, you're right about that. it's still a great-looking bowl o' chili though. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Sounds like this chili is a perfect start! You can do it! I know you can! Everyone needs a treat.

Anonymous said...

The colors ARE pretty!