Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Curry Yogurt Chicken Salad

I went to one of my friends house for dinner last week.  Me and her and two other women have been meeting pretty faithfully every month for about ten years.  This past February marked our "anniversary".  We have really hung in there together and I couldn't feel more blessed to have them in my life.  Our get togethers are marked by good food, good conversation and lots of laughter, some tears at times too.  I always feel refreshed and uplifted after our time together.  What more can you ask for?

At our last get together my friend made this salad above.  I had to recreate it.  It was delicious and refreshing.  Perfect for a summer dinner or entertaining.  The dressing used for this is made by a local supermarket called Wegman's. For those of you who know Wegman's you invariably will love Wegman's.  Their marketing is amazing.  Always has been.  Now the dressing is expensive and you know me, I think, I am a bit of a penny pincher so I have to tell you that I feel compelled to recreate this dressing out of my pantry.  I will report back to you when I come up with something equally satisfying.  Until then, if you are local or have a Wegman's- you've got to try this dressing. (No I was not paid or reimbursed in anyway to say all that).

Curry Yogurt Chicken Salad
Adapted from this recipe at Wegman's but I did find this recipe and it sounds equally delicious

2 cups celery
1/2 cup red onion, diced
3/4 of a pound red seedless grapes, halved (about 2 cups)
2 cups cooked chicken, roaster chicken is quick and easy but I used chicken thighs here
1/2 cup Food You Feel Good About Curry Yogurt Dressing (I used way less but add more if you like)
bed of lettuce- how much of it is completely your choice
1/2 cup roasted almonds


Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and dish out over bed of lettuce as desired.

Dog bath day here at the Lipsmacking Goodness household.  Although wet dog is definitely not lip smacking, its more like nose whacking.  Pee yew.  Now that shes dry, she smells purdy!
Just in case you think we chain the dog... we don't.  On rare occassion she spends minimal time on chain.  Mostly she runs around our yard, digging holes (ugh), stealing things out of the garden to chew on (like the sprinkler) and in general just causing havoc.  Okay, that is a slight exageration.  She does dig a lot of holes but she steals things on occassion.  I don't want her to look real bad here.  We are lucky to have a great dog who minds her manners most of the time (she is after all still under 2).

6 comments:

Murasaki Shikibu said...

My sister's dog is 1 year and 7 months old and she sure is one naughty thing. She doesn't like being shampooed at all!

vanillasugarblog said...

i LOVE creative chicken salads that pack a huge flavor punch and with texture.
this is right up my flavor alley. i should print this one out.

chow and chatter said...

oh great salad love it

Mimi said...

That salad looks delicious. We don't have Wegman's here, so I hope you figure out the dressing recipe soon.
Mimi

Anonymous said...

This salad looks pretty phenomenal. I love yogurt dressed salads, as long as there is no wet dog in them ;D lol NO Wegman's near by, but curry and yogurt dressings are all over the net.

On another note...totally agree with your comment, they just sort of ignore you if you're not part of a clique, popular, or don't have spectacular photos.

kat said...

We love to make a curry chicken salad with leftover chicken for lunch. We don't have Wegman's here so I usually just use some yogurt & curry powder.