Monday, July 25, 2011

Potato Salad with Shrimp and Tarragon

I am not a huge fan of potato salad.  Some once in a while is good but I don't get all "gaga" over it. I chose this recipe because it had something other than the usual mayonnaise.  

Lost in the whirl wind that is summer, I know I have not been commenting on blogs like I usually do.  Hopefully when school starts I will have a bit more time to visit and comment.  This will be the first September when both my kids will be in school full time.  I plan on keeping pretty busy.  I have so many cleaning projects that are an all day thing that I have lined up.  Then I also have some painting to do.  Looking forward to seeing that done.  Right now I have a quilt to finish.  Ta ta.

Potato Salad with Shrimp and Tarragon
Adapted from this recipe at Fine Cooking

1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2  teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup plain rice vinegar
Kosher salt
3-1/4 lb. potatoes, scrubbed clean
1-1/2 cups cooked, diced shrimp
1-1/2 cups thinly sliced celery (include the leaves, roughly chopped)
1/2 cup sliced green onions
2 tablespoons capers

Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.

Cook potatoes in salted water until they are barely tender.  This will happen rather quickly so keep a close eye on them. Drain the potatoes in a colander and set aside until just cool enough to handle. Cut the potatoes into 3/4-inch chunks. Add the potatoes to the bowl with the vinegar and gently stir with a spatula to coat.

When the potatoes have completely cooled, gently fold the shrimp, celery, and chives into the potatoes. Fold in enough dressing to generously coat the potatoes (you may not need all of the dressing). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until cool.

5 comments:

giz said...

I feel the same about potato salad - most have waaaay too much mayo but I must say I love your additions and would try it.

Mimi said...

I like the unusual ingredients in your potato salad. Enjoy your summer.
Mimi

Robin said...

This is a great way to turn potato salad into a main dish! I love shrimp type salads any day of the week.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I know I'd love this. You've used three of my favorite ingredients. You can't go wrong with potatoes, shrimp and tarragon. This one is a keeper for sure. I hope all is well. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

kat said...

I know what you mean about commenting, I feel like I have been so bad this summer too.