Thursday, May 24, 2012

Wheat Berry Salad

Summer salad time!  Yeah.  Veggies. Cool and refreshing.

I saw this nice little recipe on The Kitchn and I have to say that this dressing is phenomenal.  I imagine many ways I can use it.  It is a flavor fortune. It has miso paste in it so the umami quotient just goes up.  Love it!


My recipe for the salad is loosely based on the recipe.  I used wheat berries instead of brown rice because I have a ton of them and I like them.  The salad dressing I quadrupled and glad I did because even on a plain bed of lettuce it is super outstanding.

And to my friend from retreat, I used the dried fruit that you didn't particularly care for in this recipe.  It was perfect.  The dried cherries that were kind of sour to you became slightly plump and sweetened a bit.  They were a nice foil to the salad.

Wheat Berry Salad
Loosely based on this recipe from the Kitchn.

1 cup of dried wheat berries
2 cups broccoli
1/3 cup mixed dried fruit
1/4 cup chopped chives

dressing:

4 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons honey
1 heaping tablespoon yellow miso paste
8 tablespoons safflower oil
8 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds

Boil the wheat berries in water for about 45 minutes until fairly soft.  Set aside to cool.

In a blender add garlic, chop and then add the remainder of ingredients except the oil.  Blend well. In a thin stream add the oil to the dressing as the blender runs.  This is particularly easy to do if you have a little hole at the top of your blender.

Chop broccoli and chives and mix with wheat berries.  Toss with dressing and add in mixed fruit.  Chill.  Good the first day- even better the next.

No comments: