Friday, May 11, 2012

Breakfast Cheese Delicacy

Wow.  Just for chance, I tried to sign in to Blogger this morning and guess what?  I. am. in.  YES!  Finally.  Whatever the issue it seems to have vanished.  I am kind of scared it may not last but I am just going to have faith that the fix is here to stay.

Now that I am able to get in on my computer you will actually be seeing more posts!  Wahoo!  Woot, woot! Uh huh Uh huh. Happy dance.

And boy do I have a stash of recipes to share with you.

This one here is amazing.  May sound a bit strange with its cottage cheese contents but trust me- its delicious.  It may look dry but it far from it.  And I did not really have the time because- honest to God- it was gone in twenty four hours but it goes great with a fruit salad or a bunch of strawberries. 

I found this recipe in one of my Aunts recipe books/binders.  I copied it and have made it about three times since I got it.  A lot of times I just don't buy cottage cheese so I don't tend to make it as much.  And I tell you- you will not find it on the internet.  I tried to see if I could find it on the internet just to check one of the directions for it because I did not copy it perfectly.  Couldn't find it.  Combed the internet and nothing.

One of a kind.

Breakfast Cheese Delicacy
Recipe from my Aunt D. An excellent brunch type dish.  Serve chilled with fresh fruit.

for crust:
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
8 ounces butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

for filling:

1 3/4 cup cottage cheese, small curd
lemon zest
2 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 300F.  Prepare a 9 x 13 with cooking spray or lightly grease it.

Mix dry ingredients and set aside.  Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla.  Stir in dry ingredients.  Spread 1/2 of mixture evenly in a prepared 9 x 13 pan. In another bowl, beat cream cheese. Fold in cottage cheese, lemon zest and juice and sugar with a pinch of salt. Gently spoon and spread this filling onto previous layer.

Spoon on remaining crust mixture over the filling.  Dont get crazy- it will seem darn near impossible but do your best.  As long as you get most of it covered your good.

Bake for .... I wish I had timed this better- about a half of an hour.  This is what I was trying to find out when I looked it up.  You want to take it out when it just starts to get golden.  Cool to room temperature and then chill, if you can stand it.  It tastes better chilled though. 
 

When I was doing Weight Watchers Point System, I prepared this with fat free cream cheese, Land O Lakes 1/2 butter and 1 % cottage cheese.  It was very good.  54 points for entire recipe.  Divide into however many point pieces you want.


2 comments:

grace said...

i've never seen anything like this, lori, but it sure is full of cheesy goodness! i love the name, too. :)

kat said...

i think i have had something like this before but can't think of where for the life of me. sounds pretty darn good though