Thursday, February 28, 2013

Black Bean Burgers



The first time I made these I did not have any buns.  Being all naked without a bun, lettuce or whatever I did not feel they were photo worthy.  But alas I should have clicked their picture because they were so good, it really didn't matter if they were flying solo.  We all loved them, even my picky eater who never eats anything like this.  We are not vegetarians but I did announce that no animal had to die to put this burger on our plate.  I guess that was incentive enough for her to eat it.  

We all agreed that even though they were good, they would be that much better with a bun, tomato, avocado or whatever.  I had to make them again.  And I did... The recipe only makes four and they are totally gobbled up so I had to take the picture in the terrible light that we have around 5:30pm.  But you get the idea. right?

Any of the people that follow my blog, know that I have made bean burgers before.  In fact I was on a bean burger kick for a while there.  You can check out these burgers.  Vegan Burgers (via Serious Eats); Lentil Spinach Burgers; Cheesy Lentil BurgersMushroom and Beluga Lentil Burger; and this one I loved but never posted, Perfect Veggie Burgers. I have my favorites.  These bean burgers are right up there with my favs. But what makes this bean burger even better is its sheer simplicity. 

Black Bean Burgers
Adapted from this recipe at Fine Cooking

1/2 cup rolled oats
1 15.5-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 large egg
1 tsp. ground cumin
salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 oz. finely grated pepper Jack cheese (1/2 cup)
1 large scallion, minced
2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro

Put the oats in a food processor and pulse three times to roughly chop. Add half of the beans and pulse into a coarse paste, about 6 pulses. Add the egg, cumin, cilantro and 1/2 tsp. salt and process to mix well, about 1 minute. Transfer the bean mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the remaining beans, the cheese, and scallion.

Form the bean mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties and transfer to a plate covered with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes to let the burgers set up.

Heat a large non stick skillet until warm; add the oil and swirl the pan to coat the bottom. Cook the burgers until browned, with a good crust, 3 to 5 minutes; then carefully flip and cook, flipping again if necessary, until the burgers feel firm when pressed with a fingertip, another 3 to 5 minutes. Serve the burgers in the buns, topped with the salsa and avocado or toppings of your choice.

Calories for the burger 225.

A list of other veggie or bean burgers that I would like to try.

Veggie Burger
Veggie Burger
and Morgans Veggie Patties  

1 comment:

grace said...

i'm a proud carnivore, but if something happened that made eating meat an impossibility, i'd be all right as long as black bean burgers were around. LOVE 'em. :)