Friday, September 27, 2013

Zucchini Carrot Soup

I had some fesh carrots from the market and some fresh zucchini.  They were begging to be eaten.  I plugged in the coordinates.... zucchini and carrots and soup into the search engine and found a ton of soups.  I waded through them and found this one.  I then adapted it because some ingredients I just didnt have.  I made it my own.  And really isn't that what soup is about?  Cleaning out the fridge and being at least a little inventive.  Or at least thats what it is for me.  Takes me back to when I was a kid and would make some Yard Stuff Soup.  Some berries from the bushes, some dirts, some leaves, some rocks.  Throw it all into my bucket and pretend it was the most delicious soup I ever ate. And yes, it probably would have killed me if I actually did eat it, considering the berries.

I am going to pretend that this is one of the most delicious soups I ever ate too.  But really I don't have to pretend.  It's good, it's low calorie and goes down real well, especially on a crisp autumn day. Best of all it won't kill you, contrarily it will make you a little healthier.

Zucchini Carrot Soup

4 medium carrots (about a cup), diced
1 medium zucchini (about 4 cups), chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 inch fresh ginger, minced or grated
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon vegetable broth concentrate*
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 lemon squeezed
3 cups water, give or take
salt & pepper to taste

Saute carrots, zucchini and onion with the olive oil in a soup pot.  Add in the remainder of ingredients and cook at a simmer, covered for about 30 minutes.  Remove from heat and serve.  Store overnight if you wish, its even better the next day.

*Click on the link if you want to make your own vegetable broth concentrate or substitute the water and concentrate with the broth of your choice.

No comments: