Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Nut Free Dog Treats




My dog will choose peanut butter over meat.  It's just that simple.  So why make nut free dog treat? With a couple of friends with nut allergies, I thought I needed to find a treat that would not hurt them when they are over.  Also, I like to use up the fat that has been rendered from different stuff I cook.
I squirreled an entire batch away to the freezer.  I don't like the fat sitting around in my fridge forever.  The bacon would probably be okay because of the enormous salt content in it.  But I'd still rather not take my chances with it going bad. For this recipe I used part chicken fat and part bacon fat.  My parents are nice enough to save their bacon fat for me.  I think I probably fry up bacon two times, maybe four times a year. I used to hate it because of the grease mess.  Now, I just do it in the oven.  No mess really.  My oven stays pretty clean.  I think it just burns off in there.

DOG TREATS

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup melted bacon fat or other animal fat
1 large egg
1/2 pumpkin puree or sweet potato puree 
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic (opt)
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 350°F.  In a bowl, stir together all of the ingredients. You may need to add more flour, depending.  You want it to be able to roll it - not sticky- but moist. Cut with a cookie cutter or cut into squares or rounds.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven, flip, place back in oven, then turn off the heat.  Let the oven cool with the treats in it.  This will help them crisp up a little more.


 

No comments: