Monday, April 20, 2015

Slaw Cakes

My family is funny about cole slaw.  Sometimes I can make a big bowl of it and it is gone in a blink of an eye.  Other times it can sit around for days, like a wallflower- totally unnoticed.  Sadly, even with all its many great virtues it just can't be sold to my husband or kids.  What to do?

Now, I know slaw is great on a hot dog or a pulled prok sandwich.  I know it is great on a Baja Fish taco... but what else?  How can I use up a large quantity of it?  Enter the pancake.

I saw a post for the Kitchn about how people use up there cole slaw and there was this comment from this lady of One Hot Stove. It said something to the effect of add rice flour, chick pea flour and buttermilk and make a pancake.  Well, that is exactly what I did. 

You can most certainly add in regular flour in place of the rice and besan flour.  As you mix it up you want the consistency of pancake batter.  Do a test pancake and see how it comes out.  Add more buttermilk if it is too thick and more flour if it is too thin.  You have to go by feel.  After I made four pancakes, I decided to add in some za'tar.  We really like that spice mix.  I liked it both ways.

I have to tell you that the pancake really reminded me of a potato pancake.  I gave my Mother a taste before I told her what it was made of and she said it tasted like a potato pancake as well.  Next time, I make it, because for sure there will be a next time, I will try potato flour in place of the rice flour.

So how fast did that coleslaw go after I morphed it?  REALLY fast! 

Slaw Cakes

4 cups coleslaw (the kind with mayonnaise but I believe the kind with vinegar would work well too)
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup besan aka chick pea flour
1 cup buttermilk
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 eggs

Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt.  Stir everything else in a bowl to accomodate the amount you have.  Add in the dry ingredients.  Stir just to make sure it is combined.

Place a griddle on the stove and have it on medium heat.  You want to cook it  a bit on the slow side so that the insides, that are pretty moist, have a chance to cook.  If you cook it too quickly it will brown on the outside but remain uncooked on the inside.

No comments: