Friday, April 24, 2015

BEST HAM EVER

 

Let me start out by saying that I am not a huge fan of ham.  I like it.  Generally speaking though I can't eat too much of it because it is too salty for me.

My Mother and I were on a little drive out to Amish Country here in NY or should I say Mennonite Country. (Find out the difference between Amish and Mennonite here at Dutch News.)  At one of the grocery type stores we found some samples of ham.  It was delicious.  Different from what I have tried before.  I have had all manor of hams.  Spiral sliced, brown sugar, honey baked, various companies and one from a local farm.  This was way better than all of them.  It was more flavorful and it tasted fresh. Definitely more of that ham in our family's future.

amish
Source: PA Dutch Country Blog

Ina Garten's recipe for a glaze that I saw on The Chew worked really well for the ham.  Everyone loved the sauce.  Smokin' good.  Lipsmacking good. Everything about this ham was lovely, right down to the leftovers.




ORANGE MUSTARD GLAZE
Recipe adapted from this recipe by Ina Garten.

6 Garlic Cloves
8 1/2 ounces Orange Marmalade
1/2 cup Dijon Mustard
1 zest of Orange
1/4 cup Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
1 cup Light Brown Sugar (packed)

Preheat oven to 350F.  Have a roasting pan with a rack inside ready, along with some foil to cover.

In a food processor fitted with the steel blade or in a blender, chop garlic first. Add the marmalade, mustard, brown sugar, orange zest, and orange juice and process until smooth. Pour the glaze over the ham and bake for 1 to 1 1/2  hours,  depending on the size of your ham.  The ham should be fully heated and the glaze well browned. Serve hot or at room temperature. 


No comments: