Sunday, November 15, 2015

Apple Cake


I had surgery this past week, so not too much baking and cooking going on here.  It is hard to chop things with one hand, especially round things, like onions.  My surgery was pretty simple, carpal tunnel and ulnar release.  All went well.  I was in good hands.  It was very fascinating experience. 

The nerve block they gave me- totally amazing.  Have you heard of that?  I never had. Essentially they block the area that will be operated on.  Totally dead, lifeless arm.  Very bizarre to have it flailing about.  My daughter repositioned me through the night.  What a good girl. 

I learned what it was like to have the other members of my family be caregivers to Mama...  I think they may need some more training.  I will just leave it at that.

While not having an arm, I thought many times what life would be like to not have a limb, with no hope of it returning.  I have always been impressed by that.  These are some of the true heroes.  Mind you I have many more heroes like that.... caregivers who deal with a loved ones illness day in and day out.  People who face life debilitating illness themselves day in and day out.  The list goes on.  Some pretty amazing people out there who fight the fight every day.

Now, how about some cake? This is seriously moist and flavorful.  It does not disappoint.

Apple Cake

1 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 baking apples such as Granny Smith peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4” dice
1 cup chopped pecans
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 


Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x13 pan.

In a large bowl, stir by hand the oil, melted butter, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in the apple and pecans. Add the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon to the bowl, and then stir until combined. This is a very thick batter, in fact it’s more like a cookie batter.

Spoon the batter into the baking pan or skillet, patting down the top so it’s even. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is lightly browned and an inserted knife comes out clean.

No comments: