Tuesday, November 24, 2015

My Mothers Beloved Stuffing

My brother goes crazy over my Moms stuffing.  I like it but I am always tring new stuff so it has not been high on my priority list to make. Over the years I have come to appreciate it.  Now, I really love it.

The stuffing pictured above is not my Moms.  I will get a picture as soon as possible. 

I asked my Mom for the recipe.  Mom says, "I dont really have a recipe but I will do my best."


Mom's Stuffing


2 cups celery, chopped
2 cups onions, chopped
1/4 pound butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups of giblets
1 teaspoon dried and crushed sage
giblet broth
if needed canned or boxed broth
stuffing bread or Country white bread, kind of a dense bread (dried a little)

Cut bread into cubes, spread out on a cookie sheet and air dry over night.

Rinse giblets.  Boil in salted water until soft.  Save broth, set aside. Trim giblets and cut into little pieces.

Sauté onions and celery in butter with a little salt and pepper until soft. Remove from heat.

In  large bowl combine everything and two beaten eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Put enough giblet broth in there to get it really wet but not soupy.

Lightly grease pan. Bake at 350F covered initially (first 20 minutes) then remove cover. Bake a total of 45 minutes approximately.  If it is still really wet leave in oven 15 mire minutes. It won't hurt anything, says Mom.

Note:  You can add sausage or bacon, already cooked as well. Mom prefers Jimmy Dean, breakfast sausage.

No comments: