Friday, May 6, 2016

BLACKBERRY CAKE

I saw this recipe in 2008.  Every time I see blackberries, a lot of them, I think of that cake.  Why did it take me so long to make it?
I went to find it the other day because I had a ton of blackberries.  I was amazed at how many people stole her photo of her cake.  It totally will make you drool.

 BTW, you really don't need  a ton of blackberries, just blackberry preserves (specifically). This cake is delicious.

When I saw the cinnamon on the list of ingredients, I was a little worried that it would overpower the blackberry.  In the end, whether it did or didn't, I don't know.  The cake is delicious, that's all I need to know. Though, I would be curious to try it without the cinnamon.

Blackberry Cake


Lightly adapted from the recipe here at Salt and Chocolate.  You can definitely trade the almond flour for regular flour.

1 cup or 8 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups cake flour
1 cup almond flour

2 teaspoons cinnamon
A pinch of salt
3/4 cup of sour cream
1 cup of blackberry preserves (not jelly)

1/2 cup of blackberry preserves or jelly
1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar.

Preheat oven to 300F. Spray a 12 cup bundt cake pan with non stick baking spray. 


In a bowl combine the flour, almond flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda and set aside. 

In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time and scrape down the bowl after each egg. Add in the vanilla and beat until combined. Add a 1/3 of the flour into the butter mixture alternating with 1/2 the sour cream beating after each addition. Beat in the blackberry preserves. Pour into the prepared pan and bake at 300 for 15 minutes then increase the heat to 350 and bake for 40-50. Or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn it out.

While the cake is cooking heat the blackberry preserves in a small sauce pan until melted and then remove from the heat.  Pour into mixing bowl and blend in powdered sugar. I used my canned jelly for the glaze,  I heated a bit more than half a cup and strained out the seeds.  Beat the jelly with the powdered sugar until it is the consistency that you want.  It should be pourable but thick enough not to run too easily.  Pour on the cake while the cake is still hot.



No comments: