Wednesday, May 18, 2016

STRAWBERRY SCONES

We have a local creamery called Pittsford Dairy.  I have not been there before and finally made my way over.  What was I waiting for?  I bought some heavy cream around Mothers Day because I wanted to make some tiramisu.  Its not ultra pasteurized so it does not keep as well.  But I would rather it that way anyhow.  I decided to use it up to make some scones. I had bought these dried strawberries at the Amish store I go to and thought- PERFECT!


STRAWBERRY SCONES
Recipe adapted from this recipe at Food Network by Ina Garten

4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
4 ex large eggs
3/4 pound unsalted butter, cold
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 cup chopped dried cherries

glaze:

1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon plus more as needed of water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400F.

Combine dry ingredients and cut in butter.  Do this until the flour seems "mealy".  Mix together eggs and cream and add into dry ingredients all at once.  Stir as minimally as possible.  You just want it mixed and that is it.  Make into biscuit like rounds or spoon into scone pan.  This recipe makes about 16 scones.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.  Don't over bake.  It should just be golden around the edges.  With scones it always better to air on the side of under baked rather than over.

No comments: