Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Vanilla Extract

I love my vanilla.  I have been making my own vanilla for some time.  I dont know why I have not blogged about it before.

Before my favorite was Molina.  I use to live in AZ and it was easy to go down to Mexico and buy several bottles of Molina.
But then I discovered I could make my own vanilla extract at home.  I just fill up bottles with vodka and drop in my vanilla pods.  I put in two or three per pint.  I like it strong.  You can definitely use less.  Some people drop the pods straight into the vodka but I like these pretty little jars that fit nicely into my cabinet.

If stuff grosses you out sometimes then stop reading.  But if you are interested where some vanilla flavorings comes from, I will let you in on a little known secret.  It comes from a sac in the Beavers butt.  No kidding.  Honestly as gross as that is, I would rather have that then some artificial thing that is being produced.  If you would like to read about the Beaver butt thing, click here at One Green Planet.

No comments: