Sunday, June 19, 2016

Eggplant Chickpea Curry


School is winding down, soon the kids will be off and we will be running around.  I keep the kids as busy as possible.  It keeps them from fighting and it keeps their minds fresh and hopefully learning new things and experiencing new things.  We do save some days for the week for cleaning and other chores.  I do can and freeze with the various harvests and then of course the big one when they are back in school in the Fall.  Next one coming up is strawberries and that is when I do my strawberry freezer jam.  Everyone loves it.

Eggplant is one vegetable I like but am at a loss a lot of times on what to do with it.  Usually I just roast it and salt it and eat it.  Or I roast it and make baba ganoush.  Those are pretty much my go to dishes for eggplant.  In the summer when it is all over the market, I make this, my canned eggplant. An old Italian recipe, not for the faint of heart with canning because the Food and Drug Administration would probably say that the way I can it is unsafe...  Besides that I never know what to do with it so I started a list of recipes for eggplant.  This recipe here will be one of them.  It is so good.  With fresh eggplant it will be even better.

Eggplant Chickpea Curry
If cilantro isn't your thing add parsley but add it in the beginning with the tomatoes.

1 large eggplant, skinned and cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper seeded and diced
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon asafetida (or 1 clove garlic, pressed)
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted preferred)
2 teaspoons minced ginger root
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 15-ounce can (or 2 cups) cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 cup minced parsley or cilantro

Saute onion and pepper in butter, once translucent add in cumin seeds.  Cook one minute more.  Now add the remainder of ingredients except for the cilantro.   Cook for 20 minutes.   Add in cilantro after you remove the curry from the heat.

No comments: