Wednesday, June 1, 2016

CLASSIC TIRAMISU



Seriously, decadent tiramisu.  Love this video.  This guy, Cracker Jack, does a great job walking you through the process of making tiramisu.  Check it out here.

Classic Tiramisu
I made a few adaptations based on what I had around.  I dont mind using cream cheese instead of mascarpone because the tang balances out sweetness for me, so I dont mind at all. I have used mascarpone in the past.  In the end there is not much a difference to me.

6 ounces water
2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
50 mL Frangelico Liquor
6 large yolks
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
1 -2 packages Lady Fingers (depends how many are in the one you are using.  This large pack pictured below, which happens to be my favorite, is more than enough.  I used a little over half the package.  There are about 14 Ladyfingers per level.)

I used Frangelico instead of Kahlua because it was what I had but I don't mind the coffee and hazelnut combination one bit.

Start with a 9 x 9 pan.

In a bowl, mix boiling water with espresso powder, stir to dissolve.  Add in liquor.

In a double boiler mix egg yolks, milk with sugar and whisk constantly until it is thickened and creamy.  Set aside to cool.

Once it is cooled completely, beat the cream cheese a little just to lighten it up.  Hand stir the cooled egg mixture into the cream cheese and mix completely.  Whip the heavy cream in a separate bowl and fold into egg/cream cheese mixture.

Dip the ladyfingers into the espresso liquid mixture for a few seconds.  Lay into pan covering the bottom equally.  Lay 1/2 of the cream mixture over top.  Add second layer of lady fingers, dipped the same way and push them into the cream just a little.  Finally, the last of the cream.

Chill for at least 8 hours but even better overnight.

Cut into squares and put on plates.  Sprinkle the top with cocoa.

1 comment:

grace said...

tiramisu was the first dessert with coffee flavor that i ever liked, and it is SO delicious! great classic version!