Thursday, July 14, 2016

Bread and Butter Pickles

A friend of mine called and apologized for not calling.  She explained caught up in the summer madness with kids.  No need to apologize, I totally understand.  My summer usually consists of running around with the kids, gardening, canning, freezing, trying to keep up with the chores (note, I said trying) and when there is a moment to, I sew.  Any moment I can squeek into sew I do because it feeds my soul.  There is not a lot of time for other things.  Summer is hectic, there is no getting around that.  Even without kids there is always something to do, somewhere to go. It's good though, I "ain't" complaining.

I really needed to replenish my supply of canned Bread and Butter Pickles.  The supply was getting low.  I had  made a batch years ago.  Yes, I will eat my canned goods way later than a year.  I know many others who do as well.  As long as it looks good and the seal is not broken, then yes, I will use them. Your call.

The color was a little "orangier" than usual.  I used purple onions as I had run out of white.


Bread and Butter Pickles

10 cups chopped cucumbers
1/2 cup Kosher salt or pickling salt
4 medium onions chopped
4 cups white vinegar
2 cups white sugar
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon celery seed

Place cucumbers in sink with cold water. Rub any dirt off. Rinse and drain.
Slice ¼ inch off each end of each cucumber and discard.
Slice the cucumbers into ¼ inch thick slices. Slice the onions.
Place the sliced cucumbers and onions in a large pot and stir gently by hand to mix.
Sprinkle salt over the mixture. Mix in.
Cover the mixture with about 2 inches of crushed or cubed ice.
Refrigerate the mixture for 2 hours or if it is not too hot in your house, leave on counter.
Meanwhile, wash jars in hot, soapy water. Prep everything else.
In a large pot, add vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, celery seed, turmeric, stir well. 
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 10 minutes.
Drain cucumbers and onions, rinse well to remove salt and let drain.
Pack cucumber/onions into jars, be firm and get in as much as you can.
Remove from heat and ladle into jars, leaving ¼ inch head space in each jar.
Remove any air bubbles by inserting a wooden spoon along inside edge of the jar.
Wipe top of jar and rim with a clean damp cloth.
Center a lid on the jar. Add the band, and tighten finger tight.
Process jars, using the water bath process, for 10 minutes.
Remove jars from canning pot, set aside for 24 hours.
Test jars for proper seal by seeing if the lid is depressed. Store sealed jars in a cool dark place.

No comments: