Monday, July 25, 2016

REFRIGERATOR PICKLES


Make whatever size you like.  You can easily halve this.  I did two large containers because once everyone tastes these, then they go like crazy.  Today, I sent a few on with the family as they headed out for a picnic.  Me?  Yes, well, I stayed home and painted my bedroom.  Yeah!  I really wanted to go but I have been wanting to paint our Master bedroom for ten years.  Yup, ten years, where did the time go?  By the time this posts everything will be done and back in the room.  Right now I am writing with blue, paint stained fingers waiting for things to dry before I go on to Round 2.


REFRIGERATOR PICKLES
The amount of cucumbers will vary depending on how you slice them or if you leave them whole.

About a 1/2 peck of cucumbers, give or take
1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes per jar
8 cloves of garlic, minced- I used cheater garlic
2 large sprigs of dill fern or dill heads per container
2 quarts or 64 ounces water
1/2 cup Kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar, white or apple cider
1/2 teaspoon alum

Slice up all of your cucumbers, discarding the ends.  The blossom end will continue to ripen your cukes, making for soggy pickles.  Place heads of dill at bottom of jars as well as garlic and chili flakes.  Pack in your cucumber slices.  Bring water, sugar, vinegar and salt to a boil.   Boil for one minute.  Pour into prepared cucumber jars. Cover, let sit until it reaches room temperature.  Place in refrigerator.  They will be ready with their full flavor in five days

No comments: