Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Healthy, more flavorful, less calorie muffin, TAKE II


If you want to make something lighter, it's even more important to use quality ingredients. Also, using more spices really kicks up the light. For example, if you are using some cheddar in a recipe, splurge on an aged cheddar. You can use less of it without compromising the flavor. If you can't spend a ton of money, buy some simple spices that will also boost it up. Like the butternut squash soup that I made had incredible flavor. That flavor was very comforting to me. Even though it did not have a ton of carbs or fat that is usually associated with "comfort", it still delivered. Remember, by cutting back on snack foods and fast food, you can save money to buy those spices and aged cheddars, etc.

In this recipe, I used Lyle's Golden Syrup. I have some left over from this Daring Baker challenge. Lyle's, if you can find it, is not cheap. But it is so tastey! A tiny bit can really kick things up.

A BOWL OF OATMEAL MUFFIN
This muffin is like having a bowl of oatmeal but it is oh so portable!

1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup wheat bran
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups lowfat buttermilk
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon Lyle's Golden Syrup or honey or corn syrup
1 egg

Preheat oven to 375F. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine wet ingredients in a smaller bowl (I use my 2 cup measuring cup). Pour wet ingredients into the dry. Stir to combine. Spoon into 12 sprayed muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes.
Calories 138 per muffin

7 comments:

kat said...

& I certainly love a bowl of oatmeal!

Sheila said...

Muffins are wonderful and these sound fabulous. They look much like a bran muffin but so much more interesting with the oatmeal and the "spice". And I am all into portable breakfasts; I have had too many bowls of things spilled in my car!

grace said...

these muffins have lots of good stuff in 'em...including cinnamon. :)

Maria said...

Oatmeal in a muffin. I love it!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so excited! I'm on a muffin kick and these look great. Printing now!

test it comm said...

These oatmeal muffins sound really good!

Jude said...

Nice recipe, Lori. I llike healthier alternatives like this.