Monday, June 21, 2010

Mexican Corn Cakes

I know local is best but you know when that Florida corn hit the supermarket at 25 cents an ear, how could I refuse.  I had to get some.  That's it though, I swear I will not buy anymore until I see it at the Farmers Market... pinky swear. 

When I have some left over corn I always make these corn cakes- they are SO good.  Really they are very flavorful, easy, versatile... Can I sing their praises enough?  No.  But you know I had this 1 cup of masa harina left in my pantry and this here corn cake looked pretty good.  While we liked them and I would make it again, I still prefer the amazing recipe from Crescent Dragonwagon, The Cornbread Gospels.



Mex- Italian Corn Cakes
I kinda had to change the title here because I didnt have any Mexican cheese.

adapted from this recipe at Martha Stewart

1 cup masa harina
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups corn
1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese
3/4 to 1 cup warm water

In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients; flours, baking powder, salt and cheese.  Add the corn.  Pour 1/4 cup of water into the mix and stir.  Keep adding water a little at a time until the dough sticks together easily and patties can be formed.

Heat about 1/4 cup of oil in a griddle and fry the cakes, flipping when nicely browned. Salt and serve.

*warning: when I made these cakes and the oil was pretty hot, I found that the corn on the outside of the cake would pop and explode.  Scared me a few times, thankfully I was not int he line of fire.  Think popcorn with no lid.

13 comments:

PJ said...

corn cakes look delicious. i know its so difficult to resist first corns you see of the season!

Fresh Local and Best said...

This is a great southwestern treat. I love corn cakes. I can't blame you for buying corn from FL, the ones in the NE aren't available yet.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look wonderful. They are a great Southwestern treat and I can't wait to give them a try. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Justin said...

these look so good. about the corn though, i wait and i wait for the local stuff. yesterday was the day -- the corn was still a little smallish at the farmer's market, but it was the bi-color NJ kind, and it was so perfect.

Joanne said...

Corn is just so cheap and delicious that I can't help but buy it even if it's not local. This little cakes sound delicious. Love the mexican flava!

kat said...

I can't wait for local sweet corn so I can make these!

Debbie said...

Yum....those look wonderful!

vanillasugarblog said...

never tried using that corn before. i am a HUGE fan of corn cakes and even more so with corn fritters. corn fritters made with corn relish. now i know you know ALL about corn relish. Nancy's Corn Relish is very popular there in rochester. I eat that corn relish by the jars, can never get enough of the stuff.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

LOL, I forgive you! :)

My kids especially the Twins would love to eat at your house. You make so many different "real" foods. They'd never be bored.
~ingrid

ann low said...

Kids will surely love this. Thanks for sharing.

grace said...

i'm always disappointed when i'm served corn cakes with no whole kernels. these look pretty good--you're forgiven. :)

Julie said...

Wow, that looks so yummy!

Mimi said...

These would be a hit with my family.
Mimi