Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Yo ho ho and a ball of rum... Rum Balls

Get your rum balls going.  Now is the perfect time to mix these up.  My mother always did these around Thanksgiving.  Her opinion was that they would time to mellow and marry before Christmas.  I love them and I just knew I wanted to make them this year.

Usually my Mom would make them with crushed walnuts but I roasted and crushed some almonds.  I already had one... yes, just one.  Don't think they havent been calling me cause they have.  Their drunken words calling me to come and consume them.  I have been good.  I have not heeded their call.  I am looking forward to Christmas - eating one of those mellowed rum balls.

Rum Balls
Adapted from this recipe at the Joy of Baking.   I doubled the recipe.  It's worth it.

1 1/2 cups (140 grams) toasted almonds, finely chopped
1 1/4 cups (120 grams) finely crushed vanilla wafer cookies
1 1/2 cup (165 grams) confectioners sugar(powdered or icing)
2 tablespoons (12 grams) cocoa powder
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/4 cup (60 ml) rum

Toppings:
Confectioners (powdered or icing) Sugar
Finely chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds or pistachios)
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

To toast nuts: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Put the almonds on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool completely and then chop the nuts finely with a knife or place the nuts in your food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl.

Process the vanilla wafer cookies in the food processor until finely ground. Add the crumbs to the finely chopped almonds. Add in the confectioners sugar and cocoa powder and stir until combined. Add the corn syrup and rum and mix well. Add more rum if necessary ( are you kidding?  Or you could drink it....).

Then roll the rum balls in confectioners sugar. Can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Serve at room temperature.

Makes about 3 dozen (36 rum balls).

5 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

Rum balls are a definite Christmas favourite around my house. Well done on only having one; I cannot resist those little chocolate rum filled treats!

Unknown said...

I dont think I have ever has these, they look raelly really good

grace said...

vanilla wafers, eh? what a new and superb use for those delightful little crunchers!

kat said...

I think I'd do these with almonds too.

Robin said...

Wow I haven't seen this since I was a kid and Ma used to make them, a real icon of the 60's! What great memories!