Monday, December 12, 2011

Lemon Meatballish Cookies

A couple of years ago Tracy from Ra Cha Chow posted a desire to have the lemon meatball cookie recipe from Wegmans.  I have been on a mission ever since because I really like them too.  It is really hard when your a baker (at least it is for me) to buy a cookie I feel I should be able to make easily at home.  It's kind of been in the back of my mind ever since.

About a couple weeks ago I started going through my recipes, all my magazine clippings and what not.  Initially I was looking for what Christmas cookies I would make this year.  But of course it turned intoa  project of going through all my recipes and whittling them down and organizing them. Its good but why did I get inspired to do that at the busiest time of the year. Anyway I saw a recipe from Wegman's magazine called lemon cookies.  I read the directions and I thought, "this is it!".  

When you make these cookies, pretend lemon is your best friend. Invited her to the party- keep having her join in on the fun. Add lemon here, add lemon there. That's about the only thing I would change at this point.  Use lemon juice instead of milk for the glaze or use a ton of lemon zest in it.  Add way more lemon zest to the recipe itself.  Next time I may even add lemoncello instead of lemon flavoring because quite honestly I was surprised by the fact that the lemon flavoring really didn't add all that much lemon flavor to the final product.




Lemon Meatballish Cookies
Adapted from this recipe at Wegman's

1 cup shortening (I used Earth Balance natural shortening)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp sour cream
2 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Grated zest of 2 lemon s
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder

glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2-3 Tbsp warm milk  or lemon juice instead
1/2 tsp juice from a fresh lemon (optional- if you don't use all lemon juice)


directions:

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Spray cookie sheets with cookie spray or line with a silpat.

In a large bowl, beat together shortening and sugar until light. Add eggs, sour cream, lemon extract, vanilla extract, and lemon zest; beat until combined, scraping down sides of bowl.

In another bowl or large measuring cup, combine flour and baking powder; add to mixture in bowl and beat just until moistened.

Shape dough into small balls, using about 1 level tablespoon for each. An ice cream type scoot is really helpful here.

Arrange about 1 inch apart on cookie sheets. Bake 10 min, until lightly browned. Do not overbake. Remove from pans and cool.

Combine confectioners' sugar and milk in small bowl; whip lightly with spoon until smooth and slightly thick. Add 1/2 tsp lemon juice if desired; stir briskly until well-combined.

While cookies are still warm dip tops of cookies into icing. Let set until icing is dry to the touch. Store in closed container.

6 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

Sounds incredible! You chose your Christmas cookie recipe well! They remind me of rum balls because of the shape..but I like the idea of lemon..it's lighter after a big Christmas meal :D

Unknown said...

sounds refreshing to the palate, yummy.

vanillasugarblog said...

oh my gosh lori I am so making these.
wow!!

Tracy said...

I did the same thing -- got sidetracked organizing recipes when I should have been doing other things.

I'm glad we're teaming up to crack the code of this particular cookie. Yours look great! I made a batch of cookies I thought was dang close but I think the secret may be more lemon in the glaze. I'll let you know!

grace said...

what a refreshing option for a cookie tray, lori! the glaze really makes it for me. :)

Anonymous said...

Ha, I love the adjective of "meatballish". Very descriptive indeed! They sound great though, another cookie I'm dying to try.