Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sugar Cookies

I know you guys are wondering what happened to the light cooking for Wednesdays.  I am wondering what happened to the light cooking too.  I have been sewing so much that really I grab whatever for dinner just to get something on the table.  I have lost my foodie mojo and replaced it by feverish working as Santa's Elf for Christmas.  I will say there has been a lot of soup in this house.  Simple soup and really fairly light.  That's the easiest route to take at this time.
At Christmas time I usually bake a ton of cookies.  This year I have paired down because quite honestly I will eat way too many of them.
But there is one cookie we can not go without in this house and that is sugar cookies.
They have always been my weakness. These have a fabulous flavor.  You might think the combination of almond extract and lemon zest is a bit unusual but they have a nice flavor.
Cut Out Sugar Cookies
This is an extremely big recipe.  With sugar cookies you really got to go big anyhow, right?  For best results make the dough the day before and refrigerate overnight.  These have a nice tender chew.  If you make them thin and bake them a little longer you will have crisp cookies.

9 cups of flour
3 cups butter
3 cups sugar
3 eggs
6 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons lemon zest
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar, mix until light and fluffy (five minutes).  Add the eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated.  Add the cream cheese, flavorings and lemon zest.

Mix the flour baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and add to the butter mixture a third at a time.  Break off about 2 cup portions and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour but better yet- overnight.

Take out one dough ball at a time and roll out on a floured surface.  Cut your shapes and bake in a preheated oven to 350F.  Depending on the size/thinness of your cookies baking time will be around 8 to 12 minutes.

Cool completely before icing.

3 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I think everyone is cutting back this year. My MIL usually wants me to bake a million things and this year she's like--nah!

cocoa and coconut said...

I really think sugar cookies are such a lovely tradition for Christmas. It is so fun to decorate them, and it looks like you experienced that. Love the idea of lemon and almond together!
Merry Christmas Lori

grace said...

considering the mess i make when i decorate cookies, i can only imagine how massive it is for kids. but what fun!