Monday, December 10, 2012

Egg Nog Cookies

I dont know about you but Christmas has snuck up on me.  I spent many weeks not feeling well because of some respriatory infection.  It set me way back on Christmas preparations.  Geez I have so much to do.  I think I need to take a step back, relax and say to myself, "whatever gets done, gets done, and what does not, just let it go."

I have my family and they have me.  The presents are just extra.  So what if I don't get everything they wanted.  I will do my best.  Same for donations.  If I don't get everything done.  There is always tomorrow and really donation centers always appreciate things no matter what time of year.

And the one thing I did this year is, not put every stinkin' Christmas decoration up.  I put about a 1/3 of what I have.  Its all good.  

I also haven't been charmed by every cute Christmas project at every blog I go to.  Sometimes I just get so enamored that I have to make all these cute little things.  It takes up a lot of time.  Time that I could just be enjoying my children instead. 

One thing we did do this year was make cookies with Granny.  The kids and I went over to my Mothers house and made ginger snap cookies, peanut butter cookies and these egg nog cookies.  The kids really like making the tine marks in the peanut butter cookies.

I was a bit skeptical about how these cookies would turn out. I thought for the amount of eggnog that is in these cookies, you just won't taste it. Well, I was wrong. Seriously wrong.
These cookies are the bomb! Great flavor, rich, creamy and delicious. A fantastic addition to your holiday cookies.

Eggnog Cookies
adapted from this recipe at Taste of Home

1-1/3 cups butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons eggnog
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
3 cups all-purpose flour

EGGNOG FROSTING:
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 to 3 tablespoons eggnog

Additional ground nutmeg for garnish




In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. About five minutes of mixing. Beat in egg yolks, eggnog and extract. Gradually beat in flour. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours.

Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 13-16 minutes or until bottoms are brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together for frosting.  Very slowly beat in enough eggnog to reach desired consistency. Spread over cookies; sprinkle with additional nutmeg. Let stand until set. Store in airtight containers.

1 comment:

grace said...

i don't really like to drink eggnog, but i've never been known to pass up a cookie, especially one that's frosted! :)