Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Beet Burgers





I saw this recipe several years ago, wrote it in my notebook and forgot about it. I changed it up quite a bit to make it my own. Ran across it the other week and have made it three times since.  I think I can honestly say that I love it, immensely and totally need to share it with you.

For all you beet nay sayers, I must tell you that my husband is the biggest beet hater around. I mean he hates them.  And seriously my husband loves all food.  He will eat any food, out of any container and he simply does not care.  Like tomato tops, he eats those.  You know the kind that every one cuts out when they core a tomato.  He doesnt- he eats it.  You know when your bread is fiercely telling you it is about to go green, yup, he'll eat it.  I am not kidding you.  The man has a cast iron stomach.  Through all that food bravado- he can not stand a beet.  (Poor beet, I want you to know that I love you).  

Well, he actually loves these beet burgers.  I had to hide one of the burgers so that my friends could have a taste.  He would have scarfed it up in no time.


Here is a quick and pretty much no fail approach to making brown rice ( you will need it for the burgers, though you could substitute oatmeal):

Put brown rice and water together in a pot with a lid. Use the ratio of 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice.

Set the heat to maximum, and bring the rice/water to a boil uncovered. Then put the lid on the pot, and reduce the heat to low/simmer.

Let the rice simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, and let the rice sit in the covered pot for another 10 minutes or more.

Beet Burgers

2 cups beets, grated
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 eggs
2/3 cup panko crumbs
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (5 ounces)
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix all the ingredients except for the panko crumbs.  Make sure it is mixed well.  Then add panko crumbs.  Form into patties and place on parchment paper.  

Preheat oven to 350F.  Let patties sit while the oven is heating.  Place in heated oven for 40 minutes.  Flip and bake five minutes more.  Assemble as you would a hamburger.  Or you can make small patties and have a bite sized beet burger as an appetizer.                                                                                                                            

So, if you are like me you always need to figure out the calories of something.  Its kind of a pain because you have to look up each thing you add in the quantities you add them.  I have done it for you here.  If you alter your recipe, please be aware it will likely be different. About 175 calories per burger. I doubled the recipe and made 12 - 5 ounce patties.

No comments: