Monday, February 3, 2014

Rainbow Cake



This year I asked the girls what kind of cake they wanted rather than what shape they wanted.  One wanted the cookie cake that was posted here a few weeks ago.  The other one, and yes, they both are January babies, wanted rainbow cake.  After seeing this cake on Pinterest a few hundred times, I was curious.  My daughter actually had seen it on Pinterest while I was scrolling around.  I was very happy to make it.  It was a lot of messing around but totally worth it.

I just love how pretty it looks with all of its color.

My daughters just loved it.

I will say that the white cake that was used for a base was awesome.  I will be making it again sans food coloring.

Rainbow Cake
Printable here.

Ingredients:

3 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup; 8 ounces) butter
2 1/3 cup sugar
5 large egg whites
2 teaspoons pure vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk, room temp


Equipment Needed:

9 inch round cake pans, preferably six, I did 5 layers
food coloring, spanning the rainbow
parchment paper

Prepare pans, lining bottom with cooking spray and parchment. Preheat oven to 350F.

In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar and beat about five minutes- until light and fluffy.  Add in the egg whites and combine completely.  Add in vanilla.  Add in milk and flour in two parts, ending with the dry ingredients.

Divide into bowls.  Mix in food coloring into each bowl.  Pour into prepared pan.  Reusing pans if you dont have enough for all the colors.

Bake for about 10 to 20 minutes, depending if you divided the batter into five or six pans.  Let cool five minutes before removing to a cooling rack.  Let cool completely then frost.

I was in a hurry so I kind of had a quick frosting, which is kind of too bad.  Would have been really stellar with some good frosting.  The cake is outstanding.  I will definitely be making plain white cake using this recipe.

No comments: