Friday, June 13, 2014

Pourable Scallion Pancakes



I have made scallion pancakes before, you can see them here.  They are a bit time consuming.  Believe me they are well worth it though.  But if you are in a hurry and want a lazy person supper- do these amazing scallion pancakes.
I happened to score a very large bunch of scallions last week at the Farmers Market.  They needed to be used up within a day or two.  I made these two nights in a row.  Everyone was loving them so they totally were okay with that.

Make the dipping sauce- this totally makes it.  Without it they are kinda plain.

Easy Peasy Scallion Pancakes
Serve with the amazing dipping sauce, recipe below.
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup finely chopped scallion
oil for frying

Whisk the eggs, water, sesame oil, salt and flour together just until combined.  Stir in scallions. Ladle about 1/3 of a cup of the batter onto a nicely oiled warm skillet.  Wait until the edges appear down before flipping- you want them golden.  Cook a few minutes more and serve.


dipping sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic chili paste.

Just stir it all together. Pour into dipping bowls.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Your scallion pancakes definitely look delectable. I love how you added the recipe for the dipping sauce. Looking up some other recipes in other blogs and just listing the ingredients without the ratio, and I'm sure to waste by mixing wrong portions. Hahaha! One thing I'm quite curious about though, is that if some recipe has made use of pizza dough if they would like to make it quicker. Any thoughts on that? Anyway, thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful recipes! I hope you're in the best of health!

Bob Andrews @ Chili House

Lori said...

Hi Bob- Thanks for stopping in! I think pizza dough is a pretty good idea for these pancakes to make them a more traditional way. I make my pizza dough from scratch so no time saver there for me. However, if I was in a hurry and really wanted these made with a yeast dough I would use the store bought. But then there is always the rolling out of dough that makes it a bit more labor intensive. Here is a link the the ones I made with a dough much like pizza dough. http://lipsmackinggoodness.blogspot.com/2008/09/scallion-pancakes-king-arthur-style.html