Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pickled Jalapenos


SOOOOOOOOO good.  I made four jars plus a little one to go in the fridge the first time.  I loved them- ate half the jar with my dinner, so I decided to can some more.

Here is what I know about jalapeños and what has worked for me and not worked for me.   A few years ago I canned jalapeños, sliced, with lots of seeds.  These were so hot!  I can barely eat one with a whole meal.  Just five will turn a whole pot of beans into fire.  Seriously.  This time when I canned them, I only allowed a few seeds.  I would slice them and whatever would remain on the slices I would leave.  The main heart of seeds at the core I discarded.  It was totally enough heat for me.  You will have to play with the seed thing to discover your own level of heat.

Always wear protective hand cover.  I use a latex glove on the hand holding the jalapeño while chopping.  Be careful not to inhale fumes while cooking.  It will hurt your lungs.

So far I have canned 7 pints of these.  I have some jalapenos in a bag in my fridge about to be canned as well.  I love these!

I have wrote the recipe for 3 pints.  Double it if you would like more.  Maybe even triple it if you are loving them like me.

Pickled Jalapeño Slices 

Makes about 3 jars- pint size.

2 1/2 cups jalapeños, sliced, most of seeds discarded
1 clove of garlic for each jar

brine:
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons Kosher salt or non iodized salt

In a stainless steel saucepan heat salt, water, vinegar, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and peppercorns until it comes to a boil.  Simmer one minute and remove from the heat.

Slice and core the jalapeños.  Place in jars. Press firmly as you go along to get as many as you can into a jar.  Don't smash them though.  Once all your jars are packed, pour brine into the jars filling them up to within one quarter of the top of the jar.  Place lids on, screw tops down and place in hot water bath.  Process 10 minutes.

No comments: