Monday, January 12, 2015

Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup

I have been making a lot of vegetable broth lately.  My oldest daughter has gone to a vegetarian diet for the last few months.  My most favorite recipe for vegetable broth can be found here.  I cange it up a bit depending on what I have on hand.  But the constant for the broth is fennel.  I have to be honest- I am not a fan of fennel but I do very much like it in my vegetable broth. Actually it is a preferred part of the soup!

We don't eat a ton of meat so this whole turned Vegetarian thing has not been a total challenge.  But it is difficult coming up with protein sources when the girls doesn't necessarily like beans.  My husband teasingly calls her a carbatarian because that seems to be her diet staple since she isnt a total fan of vegetables either.  She will eat a few and claim she seriously likes vegetables but it is not sufficient.   For these reasons, the traditional vegetarian type dishes I have always made are not her thing either.  Sigh.  Hopefully her tastes will start changing.


Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup

1 sweet potato, peeled
5 turnips, peeled
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
2 quarts of vegetable broth
salt to your taste
1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)

Cut sweet potato and turnip into cubes and place ona  cookie sheet  Roast in a 400F oven until they are lightly browned.  Place in soup pot with the remainder of the ingredients and let cook for about 30 minutes.  Blend in the blender (or use an immersion blender) until smooth and return to pot. Add in cream if desired.

No comments: